Sunday, June 10, 2007

From West Mambalam to West Lafayette!

Hi all! Its been more than eight months since I updated this blog...I should say that it has had a very long vacation. A lot of developments have taken place in this gap, positive though, and I am a happier person than what I was then :)
Now you can attribute that to my completing my engineering course successfully. You should be able to feel the gleeful joy in my writing, as it has been running high ever since the results were declared this week and when I saw the "Result" section showing a capital "P" in all my subjects.....phew...wasn't that the end of an 8-time scare...
Coming back, today's article is going to be "different". Now don't ask me to elaborate on that, when you don't ask directors, music directors, choreographers or cinematographers to elaborate when they say the film is "different" but end up churning out something worse or the same crap at best. However, this is not an innuendo towards a sloppy article :) Hope you enjoy reading this article as much as you would have, reading my previous ones! (Wrong assumptions to be excused!)
Here I am, staring at my PC Monitor, and keeping my hands glued to my keyboard keys, not knowing what to type. But since that happens every single time I sit down to blog, this situation has become all too familiar, and hence, I have crafted ways to get out of the same. Enough said- lets go!
Not many can stand the "shock", of being transported over a 10000 miles from one place to another, which is diametrically opposite to the first. Please note however, that I am talking about the bulk of the junta in general, and exceptions like
these, fall outside the purview of our discussion. The first place that i am referring to is one, which has more temples than houses, more mosquitoes than people, and more madisars than chudidaars. ;) It is called West Mamabalam, or Pazhaya Mamabalam, or Mambalam, or by any other mystical permutation of these. We shall henceforth use WM to refer to the same. It's also been rumored that it is going to be named Mosamambalam, predominantly due to the plethora of silk shops that have simply killed this place. The government is therefore seriously contemplating whether or not to build flyovers across these buildings. However, statistics predicts that even so, they would have to construct one separately for pedestrians, as suggested by the state of affairs found at the popular Ranganathan Street. This is perhaps the torch bearer for all the so called "crowded" streets across Chennai, as it is believed to house more than 50% of Chennai's population at one go. This street also features in most of the International Journals/magazines, owing to the fact that it is the home of one of the largest entrepreneurial firms- Saravana Stores. To establish that amount of confusion prevailing in this place,this "firm" has several different names associated with it. Its sometimes called Anna"chi" kadai, meaning Brother's shop, Saravana Selvarathnam shop, Saravana Stores, and with a never ending list of other names. Apparently, there was a feud in a family of brothers, with the contention being who sells the maximum number of bogus items, and it got to a point where no formal consensus was possible. It was hence decided unanimously that they set up different shops with slightly different names, so that the customer is unable to find out from which of these shops, the bogus item is from. In probabilistic terms, the chance that an item is from Saravana Selvarathnam shop, given that it is horribly defunct, P(SS/Defunct Product) -is very hard to find out, as all these shops have a probability one that the item is defective. (Note: Please condone this sudden outburst of probability theory- I am amidst a course that leaves me wanting after every class). However, WM is where I was born and brought up, and due to a sense of extreeeeeeeeme attachment, i shall stop maiming it further. :) So for a person from such a background, the first day at an alien place was way different from what I had anticipated. With lots of expectations running in my mind when I first landed at the US, reality had something different to offer....
But before that, I shall give an inception to those people who are unaware of this "paradise on earth", by name West Lafayette (termed WL henceforth). This is a big big city, big enough to house big buses, big cycles, big trees and more importantly big, pudgy people. My first impression on this place on landing here, was that it was insanely quiet. Surprisingly, but sadly though, there weren't auto/rikshaw/taxi walas cottoning up to me, sugar coating words, to get a "savaari" or a "bhoni". These were the notable differences:
Roads: All I saw was a lot of cars, speeding their way through an extremely neat path, called "road". Abhey, what are these- roads??? An indian's definition of a read would go as follows - "A path constructed out of sand, clay, torn rubber pieces, gravel, and a lot of cow-dung, peppered with as much garbage, proportional to the number of houses in the street". Much to my disbelief, I didn't find any of this here :( . To add to all this, I couldn't witness the divine sight of people "bypassing" signals or breaking traffic rules. I was actually taken by surprise when people slowed down their cars when they saw a red signal! - this is not what is supposed to happen, atleast in my part of the world! You see, I myself take it easy when it comes to traffic rules, and when "mama" is not around, I never bother to stop for the Red.
Surroundings, the technology & the weather: These three were beyond comparison for a person like me, hailing from a place like WM. With special reference to the third point, it was the first time in my life that I witnessed 40 deg F, as against the usual 40 deg Celsius back at home!
The flip side of the place, however should not be understated. This actually witnessed the rise of the new chef in me, much to the dismay of my own self and my roomies! This is because, we had to cook for ourselves, and so, out came the new dimension in me- not something anyone would have ratified. For the "dishes" not only proved detrimental to our stomachs, but also to our utensils, especially to the cooker, which sustained severe damages.
With studies taking centrestage, all this was pushed to the backburner. Here again, the transition from a university, whose syllabus structure is no better than the one at a corporation school in Bihar, to one where the papers are very novel, makes me continue to struggle to get myself out of a quagmire!
Culture is one thing lots of people make a big fuss about. I however feel the situation is no better back at my place, and is poised to overtake this place in the near future, in the wrong sense!
So if there are any more WM-ites there, planning to make such a huge jump, feel free to contact me, take my advise, and discard it the next second!

Signing off for now,
a dilapidated blogger!
C ya!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ritesh said...

ha ha ha.. nice one!

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home